1. This little sock came out TOO dark.
2. This yarn came out TOO light.
3. This color came out JUUUST right.
I wanted a really dark burgundy for the socks, but went overboard with the black, using about five parts cranberry with one part black (all dyes used in this post were from Country Classics). Now it's more like black tinged with red. I might have to fix this by dyeing with just black.
Since I'd set up the dyeing stuff, I thought I'd dye two other skeins of white Gems Pearl to a dark purple for a pair of socks for mil. Seeing how dark the burgundy came out, I went easy on the black (about 8 parts raspberry to one part black), but then it turned out too light. This is not so much a disaster, since this is exactly a color I'd want for myself. :)
Then at the last minute, I brought out the yak/wool that I got from Ingrid. I thought I'd like a greyish-purple, much like the Rowan KSH color 'Majestic', and used about equal parts lilac and charcoal. It turned out well, but now I want something darker. There'll be another dyeing session soon, I think.