These were based on Nancy Bush's Hiiumaa Mismatched Mates in Knitting on the Road. It turned out after knitting the first sock (on the left) that I had enough blue left over for an entire sock, so that I could stripe the second one any way I liked. I find totally random stripes rather difficult to do, as my hands would unwittingly continue knitting in one color unless I knew ahead of time where to change colors, so these ended up with patterned stripes. The yarn is Jaeger Baby Merino 4 ply, one skein Indigo, plus one white dyed with Limeade Koolaid (lots leftover), and knit at 56 st on 2.25 mm needles. They're for Y, the little one who wanted his own socks, just because his brothers had handknit socks.
When I finished the first one, I was so sure I couldn't be happier with another stripe pattern, and yet, when I was knitting the second, it became my favorite. Put side by side, I can't decide.
I like the stripes on the reverse side too, but there was no way I could purl every row for socks. There're small jogs at the beginning of the rounds, but not so bad that I wanted to do something about them.
The round toes are becoming my favorite, especially since I'm not that fond of doing the K stitch. After the socks were done, I started something new immediately. It's Pampas, from Rowan 40:
Once in a while, when my stash becomes overwhelming and there's no space to stuff another ball of yarn in the cupboard or under the table, I have a great urge to knit up the biggest pack of chunkiest yarn. The chunkiest was the Rowan Chunky Print, which I'd bought a few months ago to make Mist, thinking I could figure out the pattern without paying kit prices. (Never mind that it's on sale now, and I'm so kicking myself!) I still think I could figure out the pattern, but I just don't have the time right now. I have to make room!
Pampas is written to be knit with Big Wool at 10 st/ 10 cm, while mine knits at 13.5 st/ 10 cm, using 8 mm needles. I'm not totally sure of the gauge, as the thick and thin texture, and the somewhat loose stitches make it difficult to measure. I erred on the side of small when deciding on the number of sts to cast on, because I think it'll stretch a bit with wear. What you see above (back plus two front, with shoulders seamed, ends woven in, and half a sleeve) is two day's worth of knitting over the weekend, when I stayed home most of the time. Don't expect it finished in another two days though, as I'm stuck at the sleeve cap shaping at the moment, plus I don't have the correct sized crochet hook to do the edging. But soon, I hope.